Wednesday, July 04, 2007

Travel Log: Maldives

Here's a photo log of eating and holidaying in the Maldives :)


Probably the best thin-crust pizza Margherita on the planet!


And it went so well with the Guinness




The same chef whipped up this pasta with cream sauce and a hint of truffle which was unbelievably good


At their Maldivian-Indian restaurant, we had papads with fig chutney. The chutney grows on you - the first time I tasted it, I wasn't impressed, but by the end of the meal, I was scooping it up



And that was followed by an unusual salad of tandoori vegetables in a cream-yogurt sauce


As we lazed by the pool, we ordered many things. One was a bowl of Japanese noodle soup, and then some fantastic sushi and finally a basic mozzarella and greens sandwich...tasted even better after a long swim and with the waves in the background!







And then a romantic dinner: we started off with a bread basket. The basket was so lovely and I enjoyed the wine...


My salad was hearts of palm, cherry tomatoes, greens and avocado. I don't much care for avocado but the rest was scrumptious. I was half-way through it before I remembered to photograph it!


My main meal was Thai Green Curry Vegetable, stir-fried vegetables and Jasmine Rice. I couldn't photograph that well at all. The stir-fried veggies had a nice touch of some carved carrots in the shape of crabs! It was a delightful touch since we had crabs crawling around our feet the whole time! But my husband wasn't complaining when he got his clams and lobster.






The dessert was truly decadent. I had chocolate cake. My husband had tiramisu. Nothing could have tasted better! Especially sitting on the beach a few feet from the waves.



Sipping cocktails, snorkeling, swimming, lying by the beach, eating and really not having any agenda at all...that was a perfect holiday!




*sigh* I recommend the Maldives to everyone wanting a lovely break. Just an hour's flight from Bangalore city, or 1/2 hour from Trivandrum airport, the Maldives is a perfect weekend break.

27 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very Nice, Is it a good place to idle around on your honeymoon?

Arundathi said...

Of course. Absolutely perfect for a honeymoon...or a second honeymoon! :)
Not sure if I'd take children along - there isnt much for them to do especially if they're under 5. Otherwise maybe they could swim and play on the beach.

Anonymous said...

Well, I'm getting married soon so... I've become a regular of your blog because we share a common passion- Food!

I love food so much that I learnt cooking to satiate my thirst for the culinary delights, during my years in London. :)

Arundathi said...

Learning cooking is the nicest way to experiment, I've found! :) Easier than going to new restaurants - esp when you're in Chennai and there isnt exactly a huge variety of different cuisines.
Definitely recommend the Maldives for your honeymoon...

A, mama of twins said...

Where did you stay in the Maldives? We might do this next time in India for a 3 day/2 night stay from bangalore... It looks really nice.

Arundathi said...

Archana, we stayed at the Four Seasons Kuda Hura, but there are tons and tons of resorts, including the Taj Exotica, which are fabulous.
You should try and do it to get away for a little while. We went in the monsoon season in June, but by July-August, it's bright and sunny again.

And I should add that the monsoon season was just in name. We had one day of rain and the rest of the 4 days we were there were completely sunny.

Anonymous said...

Nice....h

Sia said...

what a romantic getaway aru, looks like u had fabulous time. i have been wanting to visit maldivis since quite some time. the first pic is out of this world.
and b4 i forget, thanks for tagging me. i will take up the MeMe sometimes soon:) i was amazed to see u wrote urr exams when ur whole house burntdown to ashes:)

Arundathi said...

Thanks Sia! It was just fabulous - our first holiday which wasn't kiddie oriented! You should go to the Maldives - its fabulous!
About the fire - yeah, as I said, it was an extreme form of spring cleaning. But I would've been less stressed if it hadnt happened during my finals! LOL! For that matter, I would've been happier if it hadnt happened at all! Do do the MeMe if you can - I'd love to read what you have to say!

Sig said...

Wow, beautiful pictures... Maldives is in my list of places to visit, thanks for sharing Arundathi...looks like you guys had a fun trip, food looks amazing!

Arundathi said...

thanks sig - we had a fantastic time...definitely one of our best holidays yet!

Raaga said...

Easier than going to new restaurants - esp when you're in Chennai and there isnt exactly a huge variety of different cuisines.

What cuisine do you want that you don't get in Chennai?

Nice pics though... Sach and I shall plan when we move back to BLR.

Arundathi said...

@ Raaga - spanish? tapas? great pizza? steak? good sushi? vietnamese? malay? singaporean?
need i go on? i guess what i meant was good food - not just a variety. i mean, chennai has sushi - but i wouldn't eat there again if you paid me to.

Raaga said...

In my time there, Zara's was a great place for Tapas... and Spanish food. Great Pizza... Amma :-) I can arrange for you guys to eat there.

I've heard of some Malay Singaporean places... two in fact... one of them is in Adyar... don't remember names... its 10 years since I moved out :-((

Steak ellam my bro would know... I wouldn't touch beef in India... they'll serve me buffalo meat!

Arundathi said...

Forget the steak - I'm vegetarian - though I see my husband daydreams of eating steak like he did in the US.

the Malay/Singaporean places - there's a new place called Singapore Rex that opened up - maybe you are referring to that? It is quite bad.

Pizza - Sure!

Raaga said...

I am talking about 1997 :-) The Singaporean Malay food thingies were out there even then... I've eaten beef in the US... as a kid :-) like I said, in India, thoda matten!! But as you can see from my blog, me's essentially a vegetarian too.

Arundathi said...

i'm vegetarian too

Unknown said...

Hey Arundathi,
just seeing this now...an hour from bglr??? and 1/2 hr from Trivandrum, I did not know at all that Maldives is THAT close...Your pictures truly inspire me to go there soon!

Arundathi said...

Definitely worth a trip - fantastic place! Sigh - only been a few months but feels like ages ago! Need to go again sooN! :)

maldives dive travel said...

Maldives is an amazing place to visit. It's a very popular destination for scuba divers because of the fabulous coral reefs and the wealth of marine life.

Arundathi said...


@ Maldives Dive Travel - I'm sure it is. Amazing place is right!

Unknown said...

This resorts provide quality breakfast,lunch & dinner buffet style. Frequent theme nights let you sample the cuisine and culture of the world.
Coffee shop Snack menus and a variety of hot and cold beverages form part of your all-inclusive package.
holidays to maldives

Unknown said...

Maldives such a fascinating beach holiday destination and sparkling city that will amaze you and transform your dream holiday ideas forever.This is the 1st step for your Maldives Holidays. With over 100 Maldives resorts suited for perfect Maldives Vacations for any holidays.

Unknown said...

Maldives Holiday Tours Packages- Plan your dream holidays at most astonishing place Maldives with us. We offer Maldives holiday tour packages, Maldives tour packages, holiday packages, cheap tour travel packages to Maldives.

Unknown said...

Wow it is really great to see such beautiful of green in Maldives,now i can say Maldives is going to be a complete holiday destination.

Events O2 arena says:
“Interesting post, we shall be following your blog more closely in future! Best Wishes from Our Team ”

Anonymous said...

Maldives is mind blowing, exploring. Yummy food looks delicious, Thanks for the site, it is interesting.....

Final year microcontroller projects said...

Maldives is mind blowing, exploring. Yummy food looks delicious, Thanks for the site, it is interesting.....